Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Specific Writing [assign. 2]

My piece of writing I choose from this book called "burned". It's about this girl name Pattyn and her family are mormons. They're very religious but Pattyn starts to experience things outside the religion, like questioning God and wanting to experience things that other teenagers experience like love. But she's afraid that she might be judge for doing sinful things. I'm reading it right now for American Lit. (outside reading). I actually borrowed the book from my friend Debbie who already ready it and said it was a fast read and a really good book. The book is about 531 pages and when I heard that and saw how thick the book was I was having some second thoughts. I'm not a big reader but Debbie told me that how it was written made it a fast read. The book is almost written like a poetry book and if you ever look at it that's what you might think at first, but it isn't and one thing I like about the book is how it's formatted. The book so far hasn't really "hit"/impacted me yet since I just started but so far this book is a book that I just wanna read and which is rare for me.
passage:
I began
To view the world at large
through borrowed eyes,
eyes more like those
I wanted to own
Hopeful.
I began
to see that it was more than
okay-it was, in some circles,
expected- to question my
little piece of the planet.
Empowered.
I began
to understand that I could
stretch if I wanted to, explore
if I dared, escape
if I just put one foot
in front of the other
Enlightened.
I began
to realize that escape
might offer the only real
hope of freedom from my
supposed God-given roles---
wife and mother of as many
babies as my body could bear
Emboldened.

I think in this passage Pattyn is beginning to see things outside of what she was taught and raised. Seeing the truth and questioning others.

When is a time when you learned a lesson outside of school?

2 comments:

claire said...

One time that I remember learning a lesson outside of school is in synchro. Last year my routine and I wanted to do really well at state to prove to the rest of our teammates and even former teammates that our hard work over the last few years and current season had paid off. We all agreed on a goal and worked really hard during practices, staying focused and even put in extra time outside of practice to get together and work on our routine. When it finally came time for the state meet, we were all excited and anxious to show off our hard work. After we swam our routine for the last time, we felt really good about it, and so much better when it came time for the awards ceremony and we ended up reaching our goal! I was so proud of my teammates and myself for putting in the extra time, because it felt so good to reach that goal.

zoe said...

Most of the lessons I've learned have been outside of school. A great one I can remember is from two summers ago. I had just gotten back from seventeen days of paddling through the Quetico and still hadn't quite adjusted. It was a hot afternoon up at the camp I go to, and standing on the deck outside the dining hall in front of all of camp I started to take off my shirt. Fortunately, a good friend was standing next to me and pulled it back down saying, "Zoe you're not on trail anymore, that's just not okay". This was not only an embarrassing lesson, but a pretty flippin hilarious incident too.